The REWARD project will develop portable, intelligent radiation detectors that can determine the flux and energy of the incoming radiation, as well as their own location.
Multiple individual detectors will be integrated in a ubiquitous radiation sensing system in order to continuously monitor an area, generate an alarm if an anomalous situation is encountered and locate and identify the radiation sources. The main features of the REWARD system:
- Real-time system with wide area coverage
- Novel solid-state detector technologies
- Gamma and neutron detection
- Scalable in terms of complexity and costs
- Portable and adaptable to any type of environment
New methods and tools will be developed for fusion, real-time and offline data mining of the radiation sensor information to discover patterns and associations of background radiation.